Recently my mom was out for a visit (she lives in Mauritius lucky fish) and I had this awful pain in my side. It was so bad that I eventually went in to casualty to have them do a scan to make sure I didn't have an ectopic pregnancy or some other unlikely yet no less scary medical issue. Several hours and a hefty bill later I came away with the knowledge that I wasn't pregnant, my appendix was fine and the doctor really didn't have a clue what was causing me such distress...
My mom insisted that it was due to my mirena, which I had put in 4 years ago. Surely I would've had issue before now, right?
Well as it turns out I have had other issues I just never realised they were due to the mirena!
In the last 4 years I have picked up over 25kg!!! It was gradual at first but 10 of those have been in the last year, with no change to my lifestyle and eating except the introduction of exercise! I have had my thyroid checked several times but it's normal and I have been eating healthier and still the weight keeps piling on...
I have also had other side effects (of which my gynae said there would be none):
- I have had a serious decline in sexual drive.
- I have been put on anti depressants and then taken off them by a psychiatrist.
- My brain has been so foggy (for lack of a better term), so much so that my husband thinks I forget things on purpose! I have taken to putting alarm reminders on my iPhone for every little thing and I still forget things!!!
- I have had pain both while engaged in intercourse and also in normal daily routine.
- I used to suffer from migraines as a child but they went away for many years and have only returned in the last 4 years.
- My skin has never been as bad as it is right now. I was lucky enough to not get major breakouts as a teenager but now that I'm almost 30 I look like a teenager (and not with that youthful glow either).
- I have been tired and listless. I was always the fearless try anything girl who was up for new adventures. I have become so moody and stressed and anxious. So much so that it has taken a toll on my marriage!
How could I have missed so many things?
Then last week I had another pain in my side, I remembered what my mom had said and decided to do what any woman of my generation would do... GOOGLE it!
And what do you know, there are many many women out there who have had the same side effects while on the mirena.
Now to be fair, I'm sure not everyone on the mirena has these side effects, but seeing as how I'm the kind of person who, if there is a possible side effect, will have a reaction it would have been nice to be forewarned so that I could look out for the signs and when I started seeing the side effects I could have had it removed. BTW I have since changed gynaes.
The good news is that I've booked an appointment and I am having it removed TOMORROW!!!
I am looking forward to feeling more like myself, though I have read that it may take several months, and will try to post more on how things are going post mirena. That is if my memory improves... ;-)